Monday, March 27, 2017

Gracie Lou, March 3, 2003 - March 9, 2017


I don't know why we don't have funerals for dogs.  Seems it might help with the healing of losing one.  If you're not a dog person I know this sounds completely insane to you.  But me, I'm a dog person.  I've had dogs my whole life.  In fact, I don't ever remember a time my family didn't have one.  But this dog...she was special...

Gracie Lou was born on March 3, 2003, in Brownsville, TN.  She was a birthday gift for me and the very first dog I ever picked out on my own.  She was the very first dog I ever had as an adult, that was just MY dog.

When I went to see the litter of puppies I didn't know how in the world I was going to choose one.  There were like 10 of them and they were all so cute, but they all looked just alike.  I knew I wanted a chocolate and I knew I wanted a girl.  That narrowed it down to about 6.  I sat down in the grass and they all climbed all over me and kissed all over me, it was so much fun!  When they got bored of me they climbed off of me and started playing and wrestling together.  But there was one little girl that didn't leave my side from the time I sat down.  Even when I stood up she would follow me everywhere I walked.  So I guess you can kinda say I didn't choose Gracie, Gracie chose me. 

She was the best dog from the start.  She potty trained and learned simple commands quickly.  Everywhere we went she made friends.  She had lots of roommates through the years, a few stepdads that she loved so much, and 22 of her very own children.  Yes, 22.  She had 2 litters of puppies, 11 each.  She was such a good mama, but that was my least favorite part of our time together.  ;)  Even with all the friends and people she loved, it was always still just me and her. We were a team. She was my constant, my best friend.  The only one I could always count on 100%.  Dogs are so stinkin loyal.  I could go outside to the mailbox and when I came back in she would greet me like I'd been gone a week.  She could tell when I was sad, when I was mad, when I was in pain...and she always tried to fix it.

Gracie loved the outdoors, no matter the weather.  She loved going to the lake and getting on the boat, she loved going hiking with me, she loved roaming around in the woods.  She even kinda liked playing in the snow after she would get used to it. 
She was in pretty great health most of her life, until last year when we found out she had pancreatitis. Still, it was easily controlled so she owned it.  The older she got the more surprised the dr would be about how healthy she was and how great of shape she was in for her age.  She LOVED going to the vet and they were always so happy to see her come in!  At 14 years old, if it weren't for all the gray hair, you'd never know she was a senior dog...and you DEFINITELY couldn't tell her that!  She was still running and jumping, chasing birds and squirrels (and sometimes even catching them).  She just still had so much life in her.  Don't get me wrong, though, she loved her naps!

On March 9th of this year, just 6 days after we celebrated her 14th birthday, tragedy ensued.  She found her way out of my gate and was hit by a car not far from my house.  That accident was just too much for her old body and she didn't make it through.  My little sister found her and some of the staff from the animal clinic we used assisted in picking her up.  That was one of the hardest days of my entire life.  It's been a couple of weeks and it's getting better, but sometimes I forget.  Sometimes I still think I need to run home and feed her or expect her to be at the door when I come home.  I know she's in a better place and I can't wait to get there and see her again.  I still hold on to a little bit of guilt for letting the accident happen.  I just pray that I gave her the very best life I could while she was here.  I pray she never doubted how much I loved her, because I never doubted how much she loved me.

So yeah, if somebody can affect my life that strongly, she totally deserves to be honored.  She was perfect.  She was the best dog, and that's not just her mama talkin.  Everybody thought she was the best dog.  She lived her life just like Jesus, so now I'm gonna strive to live my life just like Gracie.


XOXO,
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment